January 23, 2023
Dear Valued Clients,
As we embark on another tax season, we are updating everyone on how we will operate this year. We greatly appreciate everyone’s understanding over the last several years as things have changed that we’ve had to adapt to from covid to personal losses to caring for our mother. This year brings us new challenges again and so our way of operating will be a little different. Unfortunately, this year Deb will not be doing any sit-down appointments, her clients are asked to either drop off their paperwork in person with the receptionist or utilize our client portal which allows you to securely upload your documents. She will prepare your returns in a timely fashion, calling or emailing you personally with any questions she has while working on your return and to go over your final numbers with you and to answer any questions you may have. She will offer what we call “finishing appointments” for those that wish to have a short sit down with her after the completion of your return. These appointments will be 1/2 hour appointments mainly on Saturdays. Leslie is accepting appointments on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
Like last year we will not have an available waiting room area, so we do ask that only those whose return is being prepared be in attendance. Also, if you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment you will be rescheduled.
For all clients we offer the following options for getting your taxes done:
- Dropping off your paperwork in-person with our receptionist. She will take your paperwork, gather contact information, ask you a few questions, and make any notes you may have for your preparer. A preparer will then prepare your return, contact you with any follow-up questions, and let you know when your return in complete. Following the completion of your return you may come in to sign paperwork and pick up your copies at the front desk. (For Deb’s clients you may opt to schedule a finishing appointment)
- Utilizing our Client Portal. On our website we have a client portal that allows you to securely upload your documents. This method is more secure than traditional email. For initial setup you will need to contact the office via phone (419) 499-2534 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org and request an invite. You will then receive an email with a link to set up your username and password. Once this step is done you may begin uploading your documents and we in turn can upload your finished documents upon completion. The portal also allows for notes to be written back and forth between you and your preparer. Using this option allows you year round digital access to your copies and makes it easy for you to print off paperwork you may need through the year for other things. The portal is easily accessible through our website at countylinetaxservice.com
- Again, for Leslie’s clients in-person appointments are also available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. She will also accommodate “finishing appointments” for those who wish to have a quick sit down at the completion of a dropped off return.
We still have our texting, traditional email, and priority mailing options available to make communication & delivery of paperwork easy for everyone. Our texting remains an effective way of quickly getting information like driver’s license or pictures of signed paperwork back to us without having to make a trip to the office. Texts are sent to our office number (419) 499-2534.
General information and some new changes for the year:
- A reminder that those who received unemployment will need their 1099 statement which you can print off the unemployment website when you log into your account. These statements are also mailed to you by the unemployment office.
- All filers must have a valid ID that is not expired.
- The deduction for charitable donations up to $300 ($600 MFJ) able to be taken without itemizing is no longer in effect, taxpayers who do not itemize won’t be able to deduct their charitable donations.
- Returns that have Earned Income Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit are still not processed/refunds released until mid-February.
***Some major changes are to go into effect this tax year on returns with dependents. Many of the dependent related credits are to return to their 2019 levels. This means taxpayers will likely receive a significantly smaller refund compared with the previous year. Changes include amounts for the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Credit, and the Child and Dependent Care Credit reverting to pre-Covid levels!!
A. The Child Tax Credit will return to $2000 per dependent instead of $3600
B. The Child and Dependent Care Credit returns to a maximum of $2100 instead of $8000
**For eligible taxpayers with NO dependents the Earned Income Credit will return to a $500 credit instead of $1500.
As always, we appreciate all of you and look forward to seeing you this tax season, if you have any questions please call our office at (419) 499-2534 or email us at email@example.com and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook! Our hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 9am-7pm, Wednesday 9am-4pm and Saturday 9am-5pm. The IRS will begin accepting returns on Monday January 24th and the last day to file is expected to be April 17th.
***If we are experiencing inclement weather please call the office to make sure we are open. We will update our Facebook page with that type of information as well.